1. Race, Class, Power, and Organizing in East Baltimore: Rebuilding Abandoned Communities in America
2. Race and class determine ‘who gets the land’.
This dropbox link should allow you to download and/or print the powerpt presentation from April 1, 2013 public talk at MICA on displacement and resistance in Middle East Baltimore
3. Current activism for fair and equitable development in East Baltimore
Fundraising to distribute ‘Race, Class, Power, and Organizing in East Baltimore’ to East Baltimore residents. link
News / Periodicals
1. EBDI has much to answer for Instead of jobs and housing, East Baltimore residents get empty promises and arrested protesters
2. EBDI investigated – 5-part award-winning series investigating EBDI in The Daily Record –Melody Simmons, Joan Jacobs
3. Gentrification and its effects: Will the local and historic Northeast market in East Baltimore survive the Johns Hopkins redevelopment initiative?
4. Urban renewal and community rebuilding and capitalism in the US
5. The Great East Baltimore Raze-and-Rebuild
After Faltering, a Johns Hopkins-Led Development Project Reorients Around a School
Urban renewal exhibit opening revisits controversial changes http://helenair.com/news/local/urban-renewal-exhibit-opening-revisits-controversial-changes/article_c4d57252-2a06-11e2-a325-0019bb2963f4.html5
Portland neighbors hope hospital improves its Legacy
5. Eminent domain
-Eminent domain not to be used for private development or corrupt private:public partnerships
House Judiciary Committee Approves Legislation to Protect Property from Certain Eminent Domain Transfers
Attempted land grab ends with voters booting entire city council
- Eminent domain used by community group?
Eminent Domain and a Horse Slaughterhouse at Wounded Knee?
- Eminent domain used to prevent foreclosure?
Oakland Tribune editorial: Richmond’s mortgage seizure plan not ready for prime time
Fed Raises Eminent Domain Issue – A Curious Choice
-Eminent domain provides ‘public benefit’ through a boutique hotel?
Historic YWCA building to become boutique hotel
-Eminent Domain Attorneys Launch New Resource Website to Help Ohio Landowners Affected by the Bluegrass Pipeline
-Eminent domain in Little Rock, Ark may oust Dillards for other corporation
-Accord may open door for ouster of Sears in Colorado
6. Tax breaks and incentives and redevelopment in Pennsylvania
TIFs disproportionately benefit white neighborhoods in Chicago redevelopment
Buncher may scale back Strip District project in Pittsburgh http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/buncher-may-scale-back-strip-district-project-in-pittsburgh-661040/
7. Accountability to the public and questions regarding benefit to the public for tax breaks to developers in Iowa, St. Louis and the US
New oversight requires cities report TIF revenues debts. Desmoines Register
Regardless How They’re Counted, Incentives Do Nothing for Economic Development. The Atlantic Cities. Place Matters
Pirrello: Walmart Ruling Clears Way for Economic Development
8. Poverty and health
Income Inequality in Health at All Ages: A Comparison of the United States and England http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2012.300929
9. Our neighborhood affects our health
An African-American or Mexican-American senior living in a community where many neighbors share their background is less likely to have cancer or heart disease than their counterpart in a more mixed neighborhood. http://www.stonehearthnewsletters.com/racial-segregation-is-healthy-for-older-people/health-care-disparities/
Where you live may decide how soon you die
10. Redevelopment and health: what if we simply rebuilt the neighborhoods and keep people there?
Physical And Mental Health Boosted By Move To Less Impoverished Neighborhoods
Urban redevelopment and neighborhood health in East Baltimore, Maryland: The role of Institutional and communitarian social capital. Gomez MB, Muntaner C. (2005) J Critical Public Health. 15:83.
critical pub health
“Everything that looks good ain’t good!”: Perspectives on urbanredevelopment among persons with a history of injection drug use inBaltimore, MarylandSabriya L. Lintona,∗, Caitlin E. Kennedyb, Carl A. Latkinc, David D. Celentanoa,Gregory D. Kirka, Shruti H. Mehtaaa S-1. Linton. IJDP 2013
Books / Research
American Apartheid: Segregation and the making of the underclass -Douglas Massey - Nancy Denton http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674018211
Baltimore: The Building of an American City – Sherry H. Olson http://www.amazon.com/Baltimore-The-Building-American-City/dp/080185640X
The Down Side of Racial Uplift: The Meaning of Gentrification in an African American Neighborhood – Michelle Boyd
The Eviction of Critical Perspectives from the Gentrification Research – Tom Slater
Gentrification Loretta Lee, Tom Slater, Elvyn K Wyly
Good Citizens – Thich Nhat Hanh http://www.parallax.org/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=BOOKGC
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks – Rebecca Skloot
Marketing Schools, Marketing Cities: Who Wins and Who Loses When Schools Become Urban Amenities Maia Bloomfield Cucchiara
Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City -Antero Pietila http://books.google.com/books/about/Not_in_My_Neighborhood.html?id=DCyOQAAACAAJ
Pedagogy of the Oppressed – Paolo Freire
A People’s History of the United States – Howard Zinn http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-History-United-States-P-S/dp/0061965588
The Politics of Public Housing: Black Women’s Struggles Against Urban Inequality – Rhonda Williams http://history.case.edu/faculty/rhonda-y-williams
Public Health and Social Justice Reader -Martin Donohoe http://phsj.org/public-health-and-social-justice-reader/
Root Shock: How Tearing Up City Neighborhoods Hurts America and What We Can Do About It -Mindy Fullilove http://www.randomhouse.com/book/57036/root-shock-by-mindy-fullilove
Roots of Justice: Stories of Organizing in Communities of Color-Larry R. Salomon – Kim Klein http://www.amazon.com/Roots-Justice-Organizing-Communities-Fundraising/dp/0787961787
Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better for Everyone – Richard G. Wilkinson -Kate Pickett http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/resource/the-spirit-level
Urban Alchemy: Restoring Joy in America’s Sorted-Out Cities – Mindy Thompson Fullilove
1. Campaign to raise funds to get ‘Race, Class, Power, and Organizing in East Baltimore’ into the hands of Middle East Baltimore residents.
2. East Baltimore residents and representatives hold Hopkins, Annie E. Casey Foundation, and the city, state and federal government and Forest City Development in partnership with the public-private development entity -EBDI -accountable for unethical redevelopment and discrimination at a city council hearing.
3. History of Johns Hopkins development in East Baltimore
4. Marisela Gomez: Race, Class, Power and Organizing in East Baltimore. Baltimore Book Festival, Sept 2013
5. Holding Ground: The Rebirth of Dudley Street Eminent Domain used by the community to rebuild their community in Boston http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uPzl_RZpqA
6. Salt of the Earth -Mexican Americans organize against mining company in New Mexico www.imdb.com/title/tt0047443/
7. Unnatural Causes Series showing the blatant socio-economic and racial disparities in health and illness www.unnaturalcauses.org/about_the_series.php
8. Voices from Within: A Displaced Community Speaks Out Residents in Middle East Baltimore organize against eminent domain, displacement, Johns Hopkins University, EBDI, and foundations