1. Race, Class, Power, and Organizing in East Baltimore: Rebuilding Abandoned Communities in America
2. Race and class determine ‘who gets the land’. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2twowz8pped4tbu/MiddleEastBalt.Gomez.2013.pdf
This dropbox link should allow you to download and/or print the powerpt presentation from April 1, 2013 public talk at MICA on displacement and resistance in Middle East Baltimore
3. Current activism for fair and equitable development in East Baltimore
BRACE Website and facebook page:
Fundraising to distribute ‘Race, Class, Power, and Organizing in East Baltimore’ to East Baltimore residents. link
News / Periodicals
1. EBDI has much to answer for Instead of jobs and housing, East Baltimore residents get empty promises and arrested protesters www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-protest-20120607,0,227730.story
2. EBDI investigated – 5-part award-winning series investigating EBDI in The Daily Record –Melody Simmons, Joan Jacobs DailyR.EBDI series in PDF
3. Gentrification and its effects: Will the local and historic Northeast market in East Baltimore survive the Johns Hopkins redevelopment initiative? http://www.metropolismag.com/Point-of-View/December-2012/Progress-Ahead/
4. Urban renewal and community rebuilding and capitalism in the US http://www.thenation.com/article/173668/capitalism-disaster-all-seasons
5. The Great East Baltimore Raze-and-Rebuild
After Faltering, a Johns Hopkins-Led Development Project Reorients Around a School
Urban renewal exhibit opening revisits controversial changes urban renewal’s controversy Portland neighbors hope hospital improves its Legacy
-Eminent domain not to be used for private development or corrupt private:public partnerships
Attempted land grab ends with voters booting entire city council http://reason.com/blog/2013/06/13/attempted-land-grab-ends-with-voters-boo
– Eminent domain used by community group?
Eminent Domain and a Horse Slaughterhouse at Wounded Knee?
– Eminent domain used to prevent foreclosure?
Oakland Tribune editorial: Richmond’s mortgage seizure plan not ready for prime time http://www.insidebayarea.com/breaking-news/ci_23353923/oakland-tribune-editorial-richmonds-mortgage-seizure-plan-not
Fed Raises Eminent Domain Issue – A Curious Choice http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/06112013_eminent_domain_mortgages.asp
-Eminent domain provides ‘public benefit’ through a boutique hotel?
Historic YWCA building to become boutique hotel http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_23439688/historic-ywca-building-become-boutique-hotel
-Eminent Domain Attorneys Launch New Resource Website to Help Ohio Landowners Affected by the Bluegrass Pipeline http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1273717#ixzz2UiovW1I1
7. Tax breaks and incentives and redevelopment in Pennsylvania
TIFs disproportionately benefit white neighborhoods in Chicago redevelopment
Buncher may scale back Strip District project in Pittsburgh http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/buncher-may-scale-back-strip-district-project-in-pittsburgh-661040/
8. Reparations, accountability to the public and questions regarding benefit to the public for tax breaks to developers in Iowa, St. Louis and the US The case for reparations. The Atlantic. May 21, 2014
New oversight requires cities report TIF revenues debts. Desmoines Register =New+oversight+requires+cities+to+report+TIF+revenues%2C+debts
Regardless How They’re Counted, Incentives Do Nothing for Economic Development. The Atlantic Cities. Place Matters www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2012/12/regardless-how-they-are-counted-incentives-do-nothing-economic-development/4140/
9. Poverty and health
Income Inequality in Health at All Ages: A Comparison of the United States and England http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2012.300929
10. Our neighborhood affects our health
An African-American or Mexican-American senior living in a community where many neighbors share their background is less likely to have cancer or heart disease than their counterpart in a more mixed neighborhood. http://www.stonehearthnewsletters.com/racial-segregation-is-healthy-for-older-people/health-care-disparities/
Place Matters www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Where you live may decide how soon you die www2.macleans.ca/2013/03/03/a-matter-of-postal-codes-2/
11. Redevelopment and health: what if we simply rebuilt the neighborhoods and keep people there? Health outcomes of development, displacement, gentrification in Los Angeles
Physical And Mental Health Boosted By Move To Less Impoverished Neighborhoods
Urban redevelopment and neighborhood health in East Baltimore, Maryland: The role of Institutional and communitarian social capital. Gomez MB, Muntaner C. (2005) J Critical Public Health. 15:83.
critical pub health
“Everything that looks good ain’t good!”: Perspectives on urbanredevelopment among persons with a history of injection drug use inBaltimore, MarylandSabriya L. Lintona,∗, Caitlin E. Kennedyb, Carl A. Latkinc, David D. Celentanoa,Gregory D. Kirka, Shruti H. Mehtaaa S-1. Linton. IJDP 2013
Shifting of drug activity during gentrification: displacement of activities vs addressing causes of activitiesS-1. Linton et al. J Urban Health 2014
Books / Research
American Apartheid: Segregation and the making of the underclass -Douglas Massey – Nancy Denton http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674018211
Baltimore: The Building of an American City – Sherry H. Olson http://www.amazon.com/Baltimore-The-Building-American-City/dp/080185640X
Capitalism and Slavery. Eric Williams. 1994. The University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, London.
The Down Side of Racial Uplift: The Meaning of Gentrification in an African American Neighborhood – Michelle Boyd
The Eviction of Critical Perspectives from the Gentrification Research – Tom Slater
Gentrification Loretta Lee, Tom Slater, Elvyn K Wyly
Good Citizens – Thich Nhat Hanh http://www.parallax.org/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=BOOKGC
Grieving for a Lost Home: The psychological cost of relocation. Marc Fried. In Urban Renewal: The record and controversy. Ed. James Q. Wilson. 1964. The M.I.T. Press, MA. PDF
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks – Rebecca Skloot
The Long Shadow: Family Background, Disadvantaged Urban Youth, and the Transition to Adulthood. Karl L. Alexander, Doris Entwisie, Linda Olson. 2014. Russell Sage Foundation.
Marketing Schools, Marketing Cities: Who Wins and Who Loses When Schools Become Urban Amenities Maia Bloomfield Cucchiara. 2013. Temple University, PA. press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/M/bo15112913.html
The New Political Economy of Urban Education: Neoliberalism, Race, and the Right to the City Pauline Lipman link
Neoliberalization’s Propagation of Health Inequity in Urban Rebuilding Processes:The Dependence on Context and Path. Marisela B Gomez Neoliberalization
Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City -Antero Pietila http://books.google.com/books/about/Not_in_My_Neighborhood.html?id=DCyOQAAACAAJ
Pedagogy of the Oppressed – Paolo Freire
A People’s History of the United States – Howard Zinn http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-History-United-States-P-S/dp/0061965588>link
The Politics of Public Housing: Black Women’s Struggles Against Urban Inequality – Rhonda Williams http://history.case.edu/faculty/rhonda-y-williams
The Propaganda Society: Promotional culture and politics in global context. Edited by Gerald Sussman link
Public Health and Social Justice Reader -Martin Donohoe http://phsj.org/public-health-and-social-justice-reader/
Root Shock: How Tearing Up City Neighborhoods Hurts America and What We Can Do About It -Mindy Fullilove http://www.randomhouse.com/book/57036/root-shock-by-mindy-fullilove
Roots of Justice: Stories of Organizing in Communities of Color-Larry R. Salomon – Kim Klein http://www.amazon.com/Roots-Justice-Organizing-Communities-Fundraising/dp/0787961787
Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better for Everyone – Richard G. Wilkinson -Kate Pickett http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/resource/the-spirit-level
Urban Alchemy: Restoring Joy in America’s Sorted-Out Cities – Mindy Thompson Fullilove
1. Campaign to raise funds to get ‘Race, Class, Power, and Organizing in East Baltimore’ into the hands of Middle East Baltimore residents.
2. East Baltimore residents and representatives hold Hopkins, Annie E. Casey Foundation, and the city, state and federal government and Forest City Development in partnership with the public-private development entity -EBDI -accountable for unethical redevelopment and discrimination at a city council hearing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91yXyd6Tpc
3. History of Johns Hopkins development in East Baltimore
4. Marisela Gomez: Race, Class, Power and Organizing in East Baltimore.
5. Holding Ground: The Rebirth of Dudley Street Eminent Domain used by the community to rebuild their community in Boston http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uPzl_RZpqA
6. Salt of the Earth -Mexican Americans organize against mining company in New Mexico www.imdb.com/title/tt0047443/
7. Unnatural Causes Series showing the blatant socio-economic and racial disparities in health and illness www.unnaturalcauses.org/about_the_series.php
8. Voices from Within: A Displaced Community Speaks Out Residents in Middle East Baltimore organize against eminent domain, displacement, Johns Hopkins University, EBDI, and foundations